What is glycolic acid?
Scientifically known as Alpha Hydroxy acid (AHA), it is an all natural exfoliant derived from sugar cane.
What are glycolics used for?
Used to reduce the thickening where excess dead skin cells build up. Skin cell buildup can be associated with many skin problems, such as:
• Sun damage
How much glycolic acid is in the Kara Vita Glycol-X Lotion and Cleanser?
Kara Vita's glycolics are the most potent glycolics available without a skincare specialist’s prescription.
• Glycol-X Cleanser -10%
Pharmaceutical actives and bio-actives are used in the listed product.
Is it important to know the pH of my glycolic acid products?
Yes, it is important to know the pH range of your glycolic products. Our Kara Vita pH level is 3.5. The pH is important to know, along with the percentage of glycolic used, because it determines how bio-active the glycolic formula really is. For example, some skin care companies advertise that they have medical strength glycolic acid in their products at say 15%. But, if the pH on this product is 4.5, then the glycolic is mostly “inactivated”, demonstrating a deceptive way to make a dramatic claim.
How will glycolics improve my skin?
They are able to improve skin clarity, reduce fines lines and wrinkles, and retexture the skin, for a smooth, younger-looking complexion. Once inside the skin, they trigger new formations of collagen to plump cells. Also, they are able to resurface the skin, taking off more dead skin to bring the impurities out, like black heads and white heads – as well as skin cells that might be pre-cancerous.
How do I begin using glycolics?
• START SLOWLY - At night, once or twice for the first week, then 2-3x per week, thereafter.
• Cleanse with 1-2 pumps of Glycol-X Cleanser, substituting it for the cleanser you normally use.
• Stay out of the eye area. When using this cleanser, the eyes may feel burning (like chopping an onion), because of breathing the fumes in through the nose.
• Masque, if it's a masqueing day.
• Restorative Hydrating Cream - 2 ½ pumps over entire face. Can be used on the neck (as long as you have been using the regime on that area). This is an add-on piece. Again, stay out of the eye area.
• Eye Tender (if using)
• Antioxidants / Moisturizers
• SPF 29
When using the glycolic system you must use a SPF of at least 15 during the day, and not be out in the sun for long periods of time because glycolics bring new skin to the surface, and it will burn much faster.
What if I am experiencing burning or a rash while using glycolics?
If burning, you should use the product once a week for the first 2 weeks and then gradually move up to three times a week as your skin adjusts. If you develop a rash, you should discontinue use and try again in about two weeks. After two weeks has passed, you should start slower than usual. Follow directions as above for burning.